Sunday, April 15, 2007

Searching for Phone Booths



One of the main "characters" in this story is the phone booth. Our lead character travels from phone to phone to call his ex-wife in an attempt to extort money from her. Now adays, with cell phones and all, phone booths and pay phones are an anomoly on the landscape. Try finding one and you could be out of luck. It is even harder to find them out in rural settings.

In my initial research, I tried finding phone booths in Montana and I did some research on line. I found a curious site called the The Pay Phone Project This guy has collected pictures of pay phones and their numbers from all over the world. He also has pay phone advocacy info and up to date news about pay phone legislation. An interesting hobby for sure. I'm gonna see if I can get some of the pictures from Dry Rain on his site. That would be cool.

These are photos I took from a couple of different location scouting trips. The top one was found in Canyon Creek, Montana just outside of Helena. The other one was found in Rudyard, Montana just off Hiway 2 on the "Highline." Regrettably, I didn't get the number for the Canyon Creek phone. You could be calling it right now! I'll get it when I'm through there next, whenever that is...

No comments: